So, you may (or may not) know that I am officially off biscuits. I am to date, at 2 weeks – 15 days to be precise – which is a personal best for me *fist-pump! I do have one exception, however and that is, I am permitted to eat biscuits that I bake myself. A few reasons A. because by the time I actually bake them, I am usually not craving them any more, and B. because I know exactly what ingredients I have put in.
So, as my daughter is coeliac (officially! Not for trend :)) Anything I bake or cook is always Gluten-Free. So here goes, my gluten-free chocolate chip shortbread biccies
What we need:-
- 280gms (10oz) of Softened Butter
- 110gms (4oz) Caster Sugar – with a little more for dusting after
- 230gms (8oz) Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 110gms (4oz) Rice Flour
- Chocolate chips
- Dash of salt
- Weighing scales
- Wooden spoon
- Wooden Board/Wooden Counter
- Baking Paper
- Baking Tray
Lets Do This:-
1. Mash the butter and sugar together with a fork, until nice and soft. In my experience, some of the butter and sugar may go missing at this stage, so you may need to add a little more of each. When you learn to act like a grown up and stop tasting the mixture, this won’t happen. Until then, just add more…:)
2. Sieve in the flour and salt and work them together with the wooden spoon, until the mixture starts to resemble dough.
3. Use your hands to draw the mixture together until the mixture forms a ball. At this stage, add in the chocolate chips.
4. Knead it gently on the wooden counter and roll it into a sausage that measures about 5cm (2inches) thick in diameter. There is usually enough mixture for 2 rolls
5. Wrap each roll in some cling-film and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
6. Go make some tea and read/watch tv/on-line shop
7. After 45 minutes of relaxing, pre-heat the oven to 160º and line a baking tray with baking paper.
8. Using a knife, cut the rolls into slices and lay them on the sheet. You can prick them with a form to make them look pretty
9. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until they are pale and a little golden brown. When you remove them from the
oven, immediately dust a little castor sugar over them.
10. Let them cool for about 20 minutes and then they are ready to eat. Enjoy!
Love, P x
Gluten Free Chocolate-Chip Shortbread - Nom!